The US Small Business Association's Veterans Business Outreach Centers program provides a number of business development services for vets, including business mentoring and counseling, entrepreneurial development workshops, business concept assessments, and more. There are 22 Veterans Business Outreach Centers throughout the United States serving veterans across the country.
If you're a veteran, military spouse, transitioning service member, or current member of the National Guard and Reserve and you're interested in starting a business, Veterans Business Outreach Centers are ready to help you.
Veterans Business Outreach Centers Program Regional Offices:
Veterans Business Outreach Center of New England
- States Covered: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont
- Phone: 1 (401) 427-6536
- Website: www.VBOCNewEngland.org
Arsenal Business and Technology Partnership
- States Covered: New Jersey, New York, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands
- Phone: 1 (518) 326-6328
- Website: www.vbocregion2.com
Old Dominion University Veterans Business Outreach Center
- States Covered: Virginia, West Virginia
- Phone: 1 (757) 683-5505
- Website: www.odu.edu/vboc
Community Business Partnership
- States Covered: District of Columbia, Maryland, Northern Virginia, Delaware, Pennsylvania
- Phone: 1 (703) 768-1440
- Website: www.cbponline.org
Veterans Business Outreach Center at Gulf Coast State College
- State Covered: Florida
- Phone: 1 (800) 542-7232 | 1 (850) 769-1551, ext. 3327
- Website: www.vboc.org
Veterans Business Outreach Center at Fayetteville State University
- State Covered: North Carolina
- Phone: 1 (910) 672-2683
- Website: www.fsuvboc.com
Veterans Business Outreach Center at Pathway Lending
- States Covered: Tennessee, Kentucky
- Phone: 1 (615) 425-7171
- Website: www.pathwaylending.org/vboc
Veterans Business Outreach Center at Mississippi State University
- States Covered: Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi
- Phone: 1 (662) 325-4990
- Website: www.vboc.msstate.edu
VECTR Center (Veterans Education Career Transition Resource Center – CGTC)
- States Covered: Georgia, South Carolina
- Phone: 1 (833) 44VECTR (83287)
- Website: www.gavectr.org/vboc
VetBiz Central, Inc.
- States Covered: Indiana, Michigan, Ohio
- Phone: (810) 767-8387
- Website: www.vetbizcentral.org
Wisconsin Women’s Business Initiative Corporation (WWBIC)
- States Covered: Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin
- Phone: 1 (414) 395-4555
- Website: www.wwbic.com/veterans
Veterans Business Outreach Center at University of Texas Rio Grande Valley
- State Covered: Central, West & Southern Texas
- Phone: 1 (956) 665-8931
- Website: www.utrgv.edu/vboc
Veterans Business Outreach Center at University of Texas Arlington College of Business
- States Covered: Arkansas, Northern Texas, Oklahoma
- Phone: 1 (817) 272-6789
- Website: www.uta.edu/vboc
New Mexico Veterans Business Outreach Center
- States Covered: Colorado, New Mexico
- Phone: 1 (505) 383-2401
- Website: www.nmvboc.org
Veterans Business Resource Center
- States Covered: Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska
- Phone: 1 (314) 531-8387 for HQ | 1 (314) 532-8387 for Kansas City ONLY
- Website: www.vetbiz.com
Big Sky Economic Development Authority
- States Covered: Montana, Utah, Wyoming
- Phone: 1 (406) 869-8411
- Website: www.bigskyeconomicdevelopment.org/vboc
University of North Dakota (UND)
- States Covered: North Dakota, South Dakota
- Phone: 1 (701) 777-3700
- Website: www.und.edu/dakotasvboc
- States Covered: Nevada, Northern California
- Phone: (916) 527-8400
- Website: www.vbocix.org
SoCal Veterans Business Outreach Center
- Area Covered: Southern California
- Phone: 1 (760) 795-8739
- Website: www.socalvboc.org
A New Leaf, Inc. - AWEEc
- State Covered: Arizona
- Phone: (480) 431-4171
- Website: www.arizonavboc.org
Veterans Business Outreach Center of the Pacific
- Area Covered: American Samoa, Guam, Hawaii
- Phone: 1 (808) 988-1236
- Website: www.hilo.hawaii.edu/vboc
Business Impact NW
- States Covered: Washington, Alaska, Idaho, Oregon
- Phone: 1 (206) 324-4330, ext.136
- Website: businessimpactnw.org/services/vboc/
Current News About Veterans Business Outreach Centers:
- June 3, 2019 - What Veterans Can Do to Pursue Entrepreneurship.
- May 10, 2019 - Program Gives Back to Veterans By Providing New Business Opportunities.
- April 11, 2019 - Florida Veterans Business Outreach Center Receives National Award.
Veterans Business Outreach Centers Program FAQs:
How do I find a business mentor through the Veterans Business Outreach Centers program?
Contact the VBOC that covers your state / area - they'll let you know how to arrange a meeting with a business mentor. You may also find everything you need on their website; many of the sites offer webinars and in-depth video courses covering topics including how to start and grow a small business, how to finance your small business and where you can get small business loans, and more.
How does my VBOC work with me when I'm starting my business?
First, they'll have you go through pre-business workshops and create a concept; then they'll review that concept to make sure it's feasible. Then they'll help you create a five-year business plan, which they'll also review for feasibility. Then they'll provide more entrepreneur training and mentoring. Once your business is up and running the VBOC will typically arrange a site visit to make sure you're adhering to your plan and whether it needs to be revised.
Continuing business education includes training on topics such as international trade, digital marketing, and business accounting. The Veterans Business Outreach Centers want to do everything possible to ensure your business is not only stable, but growing.
Does the Veterans Business Outreach Center only work with veterans?
No - veterans are the focus, but the VBOC also helps military spouses, those transitioning from the armed services to civilian life, and members of the National Guard and Reserve. If you fall into one of those categories and you want to start a small business, you should take advantage of the services your VBOC has to offer.
Does the VBOC offer programs to help service-disabled entrepreneurs?
The Office of Veterans Business Development (the office that oversees the VBOC) offers a number of programs for service-disabled veterans, including the Dog Tag Inc. fellowship program, the Entrepreneurship Boot Camp for Veterans, and more.
Visit the Office of Veterans Busienss Development resource page for a complete list of available resources.