AlphaLab and AlphaLab Gear are, respectively, software and hardware startup accelerators based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Both are accelerator programs of the seed stage investor Innovation Works. AlphaLab's 4-month program includes educational sessions designed to round out startup founders' business education, and graduate companies may qualify for additional seed funding from Innovation Works.
AlphaLab Key Information:
6024 Broad St Floor 2, Pittsburgh, PA 15206 US
AlphaLab Can Be Found At:
AlphaLab Gear Can Be Found At:
Recent News About AlphaLab:
- March 26, 2019 - Honeycomb Credit CEO & Co-Founder George Cook Discusses Rust Belt Crowdfinancing Buzz, Launching & More….
- March 18, 2019 - Rachel Reid's Entrepreneurial Urge Led to Subtl Beauty.
- February 27, 2019 - Which of These Local Startups Will Earn a Spot in the Hardware Cup International Finals?
What's the difference between AlphaLab and AlphaLab Gear?
AlphaLab is a startup accelerator focusing on software, while AlphaLab Gear, AlphaLab's sister accelerator, invests in hardware companies. They were both founded by Innovation Works, a Pittsburgh-based seed stage investor.
AlphaLab's accelerator program lasts 4 months, while AlphaLab Gear's is, at 30 weeks, almost twice as long. AlphaLab Gear also offers an additional 8 week program focusing solely on manufacturing.
What is AlphaLab's financial investment in companies?
AlphaLab's standard initial investment is $25,000.00 for 4% equity. Upon program completion, companies that have reached agreed upon milestones qualify for a $25,000.00 convertible note. Companies who've competed the program will also be under consideration for seed funding from Innovation Works, which can amount to up to $600 thousand.
Do I have to move to Pittsburgh for the accelerator program?
Innovation Works, AlphaLab, and AlphaLab Gear are committed to building a tech hub in the Pittsburgh area. Both AlphaLab and AlphaLab Gear require that you relocate to Pittsburgh for their programs. In addition, both programs require you to remain in Pennsylvania after you've completed the program, both to stay in close touch with mentors and to add to the area's thriving tech community.
What is the AlphaLab Gear Hardware Cup?
The Hardware Cup is a pitch competition for hardware startups. It's held in cities across the US and the world. The grand prize is $50,000.00.
Who are some of the companies AlphaLab and AlphaLab Gear have worked with?
Thus far AlphaLab has worked with more than 113 companies who've raised $150 million in follow-on funding.
- Flexable - a pop-up childcare provider.
- Hustle - a personal fitness app focusing on baseball and basketball with drills, workout routines, and training sessions.
- Inktd - a client and financial management app for tattoo artists and shop owners.
- ViaHero - a travel app that matches you with a like-minded local who helps plan your trip.
- CleanRobotics - a smart trash can that automatically sorts out recyclables.
- FoxBlossom - personalized and curated gift boxes.
- Autopods - a ride app with a fleet of electric pedicabs.
- SolePower - smartboots for commercial construction and military use.